[linux-sunxi] GSoC 2014 #1 status report - Improving Allwinner SoC support

Chen-Yu Tsai wens at csie.org
Tue Jul 22 06:17:44 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM, jonsmirl at gmail.com <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Chen-Yu Tsai <wens at csie.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Chen-Yu Tsai <wens at csie.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Emilio,

>>> So I have not experimented on this, it's just a hunch:
>>> Could it be that the 24bit audio samples you're sending to the audio codec
>>> is aligned incorrectly? So the sample is actually seen as down-shifted by
>>> 8 bits, resulting in the low volume?
>>
>> So the user manual says that 24 bit samples should be right justified,
>> or in the most significant bytes. The way to do it in ASoC is to declare
>> support 32 bit, instead of 24 bit, audio, and also set .sig_bits to 24.
>>
>> See: http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg40846.html
>>
>> This makes ALSA send 32bit data, and the hardware will drop the lower 8
>> bits. S24_LE denotes 24bit in the lower bits, and thus we cannot use it.
>>
>> However, there is something puzzling about the FIFO modes. The manual
>> says that with TX FIFO modes 00/10, 16 bit audio should take the most
>> significant 2 bytes of the FIFO as the audio sample to convert. However
>> the DMA engine looks like it's writing the least significant 2 bytes.
>> I know the code as it is now works, but still I think we should get
>> this straightened out.
>
> Are you getting any underrun errors? We both got them.

Any way to tell? The audio doesn't sound choppy or anything.

>> As a side note, the code still needs some cleaning up. I see some
>> duplicate codec/dais.
>
> I initially copied dummy-codec into the source file. It needs to be
> removed and the driver should use the dummy-codec provided by ALSA.
> The driver should not use simple-audio-card since there is nothing to
> bind.

I see. Let us know when the code is cleaned up.

> The routing="" in the DTS is to allow you to specify which jacks are
> implemented in your hardware. That code is not complete.  Once it is
> complete board the Cubietruck DTS could specify only LINEOUT. Then all
> of the unneeded ALSA controls will drop out of the UI.

I haven't seen this.

> Looks like some sort of clock callback is need to lock the PLL2 rate.
> You don't want to have something playing on the codec and then have a
> another device reprogram PLL2 in the middle of the song.

The common clock framework has support for this. I can't remember
the option off the top of my head, but I've used it in the GMAC clock.

> No one has tried capture yet. Cubieboard2 has MICIN. I don't have one of those.

I believe it's LINE IN actually. Anyway, I have one, and I can test it
if the code is there.