mvebu: Can we make the orion-mdio clock a requirement?

Ezequiel Garcia ezequiel.garcia at free-electrons.com
Mon Jul 21 12:06:15 PDT 2014

Helly everyone,

Currently the mvmdio driver does not require a clock to be declared,
and instead this is optional.

However (almost) all the platforms that currently use it, i.e. the
Armada, Kirkwood and Dove SoCs, require some clock to be enabled before
the MDIO registers can be accessed.

The Orion5x SoC doesn't declare any clock for neither the ethernet node,
nor the MDIO node. Is that correct?

Do you think we could make the clock a required property in the mvmdio
devicetree node? How would that behave in the non-DT case?

Thanks,
--
Ezequiel García, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android Engineering