[RFC 1/4] ARM: tegra: Move SoC drivers to drivers/soc/tegra

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Jul 16 12:31:00 PDT 2014

[ Gee, I had completely missed this thread because nobody bothered to
cc me. Seems to be standard procedure on 64-bit these days. :( ]

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote:

>> > Please see above.
>>
>> Like I said, I don't see what business suspend/resume related code has
>> in drivers/power. What we're talking about here really is functionality
>> very specific to Tegra. Also some of that code needs to be run at very
>> early points in the boot process, so we can't reasonably turn it into a
>> proper driver anyway.
>
> I believe the powergate.c stuff can be changed into pm_domain code, but
> we don't have a good subsystem with generic DT bindings yet, so that
> may need some more groundwork first. drivers/power or a subdirectory
> of that may end up being the right place though.
>
>> Also, the real win we get from moving code out into drivers/ is if we
>> can provide a common framework for them. I don't see how we can possibly
>> do that for this code since there simply isn't enough commonality
>> between SoCs. At the same time we now have a situation where both 32-bit
>> and 64-bit variants of some SoCs share some of the same hardware at the
>> very low level and since we don't have mach-* directories for 64-bit ARM
>> and shouldn't be duplicating code either, we need to find a new home for
>> this type of code. drivers/soc seemed to fit perfectly well.
>
> For the low-level stuff yes, but I agree with Santosh there needs to be
> some more work trying to split out individual high-level drivers.
>
> There are two common patterns for the interface between the low-level
> register access and the more high-level stuff:  you can either use
> a "syscon" driver that just exports a struct regmap and that gets referenced
> from other drivers using a phandle in their device nodes, or you have
> a driver in drivers/soc that exports a somewhat higher-level interface
> and comes with its own header file that gets included by other drivers.
> At the moment, the syscon/regmap variant can only be used once device
> drivers are loaded, but there is some broad agreement that it should
> be changed to allow calling syscon_regmap_lookup_by_phandle() at
> early boot using just DT accessors.

I'd strongly prefer to NOT tie this into DT and keep it as in-kernel
implementation until we know more what a common subsystem might look
like, if any.

If we keep it only in the kernel, then we're free to change it as
needed. If we tie it into DT/syscon, then we get stick with
stable-only ABIs from day one. That doesn't seem like a good idea.

-Olof