[GIT PULL 2/3] ARM: tegra: move fuse code out of arch/arm

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Tue Jul 8 10:47:16 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Peter De Schrijver
<pdeschrijver at nvidia.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 02:44:17AM +0200, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 03:23:45PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
>> > This branch moves code related to the Tegra fuses out of arch/arm and
>> > into a centralized location which could be shared with ARM64. It also
>> > adds support for reading the fuse data through sysfs.
>>
>> The new/moved misc driver isn't acked by any misc maintainer, so I can't
>> take this branch.
>>
>> I saw no indication from searching the mailing list of that either,
>> so it wasn't just a missed acked-by.
>>
>> I wonder if this code should go under drivers/soc/ instead?
>
> It's modelled after sunxi_sid.c which lives in drivers/misc/eeprom/.
> Originally this driver was also in drivers/misc/eeprom/, but Stephen objected
> and therefore it was moved to drivers/misc/fuse. I think that's the right
> place still.

I disagree, I think this belongs under drivers/soc. Especially since
you're adding dependencies on this misc driver from other parts of the
kernel / other drivers.

I also don't like seeing init calls form platform code down into
drivers/misc like you're adding here. Can you please look at doing
that as a regular init call setup?

The fact that you provide data to the rest of the kernel again really
says drivers/soc to me, not drivers/misc.

> We anyway need this driver for sata and xhci.

Yes?

-Olof