Android and compatibility with deprecated armv7 instructions

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Fri Jul 4 12:33:24 PDT 2014

On Friday 04 July 2014 20:24:05 Mark Brown wrote:

> Another question I think it's worth asking is what the use case for 32
> bit mode is other than preexisting binaries - I guess there's a case for
> smaller binaries giving better cache utilisation?

If you wanted that, you'd probably run x32-mode (or whatever it gets called
on ARM64), which I'd expect to also be more efficient ;-)

Seriously, backwards-compatibility is the only reason I can think of
really, but that doesn't /have/ to mean existing binaries; there is a large
amount of source code that can readily be compiled to any CPU as long as
it's little-endian 32-bit.

	Arnd