Android and compatibility with deprecated armv7 instructions

Will Deacon will.deacon at arm.com
Wed Jul 2 11:25:00 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 02, 2014 at 07:03:37PM +0100, Christopher Covington wrote:
> Hi Will,

Hello Christopher,

> On 07/02/2014 12:16 PM, Will Deacon wrote:

> Why should the Linux kernel have an opinion about software migration?

The kernel doesn't have an opinion; the community has a bunch of opinions
and we arg^H^H^Hdiscuss them until we reach a conclusion. I have strong
opinions about software migration based on my experiences working for ARM,
hence my feelings here. Others have different opinions based on their
experiences building products out of Linux-based systems. This is the
discussion bit.

To elaborate on this concern, software migration is only a problem for
legacy binaries. As time goes on, the number of legacy binaries will not
increase. However, supporting emulation such as this can easily keep that
number constant and force us to carry code that exists only because of
itself. Furthermore, it's almost always better to migrate to the new
instruction sequence from a performance point of view.

The ARM architecture typically deals with this by first deprecating an
instruction (providing controls to disable it, but still implementing it
in hardware) and then obsoleting it (no hardware support). SWP was
deprecated in ARMv7 and became obsolete in ARMv8.

One proposal could be that we provide options to enable deprecated
instructions (with a message in dmesg), but don't provide emulation when
they're obsolete. This would solve CP15 barriers and SETEND, but not SWP,
where you could argue that the emulation in ARMv7 kernels is the hint that
it's going away.

> If someone has the time and interest to implement and maintain such features,
> why turn them away, provided there is no performance impact on those who do
> not wish to configure in the support? I think supporting everything within our
> means is the right place to draw the line.

Partially because we have to maintain the stuff forever, but also because
it sets precedent for merging more (unremoveable) emulation code in the
future, which gets proportionally less testing over time.

> >> The problem is that we (Android) have to draw the line somewhere else
> >> - there are too many highly visible apps in the app store that still
> >> use these instructions.  When we add them back to our kernels, then we
> >> are no longer ABI compatible with an upstream kernel.
> >
> > For an ARMv7 kernel, this is still controlled by CONFIG_SWP_EMULATE, so
> > you would have the exact same issues with kernels where that has been turned
> > off. You assumedly have a bunch of patches on top of mainline for Android; I
> > don't understand why this one is any different.
>
> As for the number of out-of-tree patches, I've been able to run a minimal
> Android userspace with just one cgroups patch applied on top of
> torvalds/master for at least the past year.

That's cool, I didn't know that was possible. If this became more common, I
agree that it would be more difficult to push back on the SWP emulation
(*if* it needs a kernel patch at all).

Will