[Patch v7 3/3] usb: dwc3: qcom: Add device tree binding

Andy Gross agross at codeaurora.org
Tue Jul 1 11:01:14 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 12:04:35AM -0500, Rob Herring wrote:

<snip>

> > +- clock-names: Should contain the following:
> > +  "core"               Master/Core clock, have to be >= 125 MHz for SS
> > +                               operation and >= 60MHz for HS operation
> > +
> > +Optional clocks:
> > +  "iface"              System bus AXI clock.  Not present on all platforms
>
> Really?, some platforms have a clockless bus?

Some platforms require core and interface.  The specific platform I tested on
does not have an iface clk.  I'll take a look at the ipq block diagram to see if
they did something cute, but i don't believe there is one.

> > +  "sleep"              Sleep clock, used when USB3 core goes into low
> > +                               power mode (U3).
> > +
> > +Optional regulator:
> > +- gdsc-supply: phandle to the regulator from globally distributed
> > +                               switch controller
>
> The name should reflect the name of the input, not the source.

Ok, I'll revisit this.  I took this from the original patch set.

<snip>

> > +
> > +                       ranges;
> > +
> > +                       status = "disabled";
> > +
> > +                       dwc3 at 11000000 {
> > +                               compatible = "snps,dwc3";
>
> This sub-node is just wrong. Why can't you have a single node with '
> "qcom,dwc3", "snps,dwc3" ' for the compatible property? All you are
> adding here is clocks. Does the Synopsys block have no clocks?
>
> I guess this is copied from other broken dwc3 bindings... That doesn't
> mean you have to copy it.

The dwc3 core does not deal with clocks.  That is why everyone has a wrapper.
That, in addition to pm, has to be handled from the wrapper.  That's my take
anyway.  I am sure Felipe can speak more to this.

--
sent by an employee of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,