[U-Boot] recommended action for bootloaders regarding modifying device-tree nodes

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 04:22:00 EST 2014

Hello,

On 30 January 2014 10:11, Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> Is it more appropriate for the bootloader to 'remove' nodes for
> devices that are not physically present or should I be setting their
> status property to 'disabled' instead?  I'm not clear if either option
> really has any pros or cons.

I am not a DT or u-boot developer but I observe these things:

1) DT include for a SoC has all supported devices. Some which require
external parts (eg. physical connectors, extra PHY, ...) are listed as
disabled and particular board DT enables them.

2) there is code for setting mac address on ethernet nodes with a
specific alias so you could perhaps reuse this code to set disabled
option on particular nodes.

Thanks

Michal