Freescale FEC packet loss

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Mon Jan 27 20:01:39 EST 2014

On Sunday, January 26, 2014 at 10:33:33 PM, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-01-26 at 20:12 +0100, Marek Vasut wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > I think there are known problems with 1000BASE-T on the Sabre Lite
> > > board.
> >
> > This is MX6-wide thing, not sabrelite specific actually.
> >
> > > Two possible workarounds are to limit the PHY to 100BASE-TX
> > > (should be doable with ethtool) or force it to be clock master for
> > > 1000BASE-T (requires a driver patch).
> >
> > Can you please elaborate on the later ? I don't quite understand that.
>
> 1000BASE-T uses all 4 pairs in both directions at the same time, which
> requires that both ends transmit symbols synchronously.  As part of the
> autonegotiation protocol, they decide which is the clock master (using a
> local clock generator) and which is the clock slave (generating a clock
> from the received signal).  A PHY can be configured to support only one
> of these roles.

I checked the patch you pointed me to. The patch basically messes with the
CTL1000 (0x9) register of the PHY, right ? I did the adjustments to the PHY
register manually , but the result is still the same (backtrace).

I did two different kinds of adjustment:
1) reg 0x9 |= 0x1800;
2) reg 0x9 |= 0x1000;
In both cases, the crash did happen. I verified the PHY register was configured
as necessary. The KSZ9021 PHY bit 12 configures the master/slave override, same
as the patch does. The bit 11 forces either master or slave mode for the PHY. In
both cases the crash was there.

I think this patch won't help in this case, sorry.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut