[RFC v3 09/13] ARM: sunxi: Add support for Allwinner SUNXi SoCs sata to ahci_platform

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Sun Jan 19 15:01:37 EST 2014

Hi,

On 01/19/2014 08:56 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 08:07:46PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> This is not a good way to detect failure - there's several things wrong
>>> here.
>>>
>>> First, how long does sunxi_getbits() take?  What does that depend on?
>>> Therefore, how long does it take to time out?
>>
>> You're interpreting the timeout in the above code as an actual timeout, but
>> that is not what it is, it is a means to avoid looping forever if something
>> is seriously amiss. The only time I've ever seen the timeout trigger is when
>> I forgot to enable some clks iirc.
>>
>> I can rename the variable from timeout to max_tries to make this more clear.
>>
>>> Secondly, what if the success condition becomes true at the same time that
>>> a timeout occurs?
>>
>> We should never get anywhere near timeout becoming 0, so if both happen at
>> the same time, then something is pretty seriously broken and the returning of
>> an error as the code does now is the right thing to do.
>
> Yes... and if we look back in history, there's been lots of stuff just
> like this where the loop has had to have the number of iterations
> increased as CPUs have become faster and compilers become better?
>
> So... my question stands: but let me put it a different way in two parts:
>
> 1. What is the maximum expected time for the success condition to be
>     satisfied?

TBH, I don't have a clue this code comes from the android driver (never an
excuse, I know) and we don't have any documentation other then the android
driver.

> 2. How long does it actually take for the loop to time out in existing
>     CPUs/compilers?

I don't know either. I understand where you're coming from, and I believe
that the best way to solve this is to take your suggested implementation, start
with a way too high timeout, and add a debug print to see how much time is left
after a successfull phy_init, then do a couple of test runs to get a ballpark
figure for how long we need to wait, multiply that by 5 to be on the safe side,
and use that.

Does that sound like a plan ?

Regards,

Hans