More GPIO madness on iMX6 - and the crappy ARM port of Linux

Eric Nelson eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com
Fri Jan 17 17:02:14 EST 2014

On 01/17/2014 01:33 PM, Arnaud Patard (Rtp) wrote:
> Eric Nelson <eric.nelson at boundarydevices.com> writes:

>>> this is "expected". gpio layer docs are saying that in output case, the
>>> value may be wrong. Not intuitive but documented.

>>> afaik at least imx51/53 have some behaviour.

>>> I sent mails about this same issue for imx51 in Dec 2010 and answer were
>>> that the SION bit should not be set for all gpios:
>>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/100875
>>>

>> Thanks Arnaud,
>>
>> This bit from the 2010 chain really needs some explanation:

>> Did you ever chase down the symptom here? Was the GPIO output not
>> holding a constant value such that the oscillator wasn't functioning?
>>

> It was not me who got this issue. The issue I had was not being able to
> read GPIO value if set as output. This link may be clearer:
> http://archive.arm.linux.org.uk/lurker/message/20101215.151016.ea731aa7.en.html

Thanks Arnaud. That link is quite a bit easier to follow.

I'm looping in Lothar and Dinh.

Dinh's comment in this thread makes no sense:

	>> The SION bit is a "Software Input On" bit. Basically, if
	>> you set the GPIO as an output, you cannot set the SION bit.

If that were the case, there's no point to either the bit or the PSR
registers. Dinh, can you or another Freescaler give a definitive
explanation here?

We also had some discussion about this on the U-Boot list regarding

Patch:      http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-September/163805.html
http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2013-October/thread.html#163916

In the U-Boot case, we decided to flag those pins used as both
input and output specfically with the SION flag, which has the
benefit of pointing out to a reader that there's something unusual
going on.

Regards,

Eric