AArch64 kernel image decompression

bhupesh.sharma at freescale.com bhupesh.sharma at freescale.com
Mon Jan 13 22:52:39 EST 2014

Hi Arnd,

AFAIK, u-boot requires a u-boot specific header (see [1]) on top of any image it wants to
boot - whether it's a uncompressed vmlinux or a compressed vmlinux.gz

In the ARM32 code base we had the Makefile rule to generate a uImage automatically (see [2]), with ARM64
now, I am forced to compress the vmlinux and put a u-boot header on top of it using 'mkimage' and then
feed the 'uImage' thus generated to the u-boot.

So, it would be good if the ARM64 Makefile can mimic the ARM32 one in this aspect - now that we have
a working u-boot capable of booting vanilla linux on an ARMv8 foundation model.

[1]. http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootImages
[2]. https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/tree/arch/arm/Makefile?id=refs/tags/next-20140110#n330

Regards,
Bhupesh