DT include files

Gerhard Sittig gsi at denx.de
Fri Jan 10 12:03:19 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 09:30 -0600, Rob Herring wrote:

> As for *.h vs. *.dtsi naming, if the include is only pre-processor
> defines, then I think using .h is the right way. Otherwise, if there
> is any dts syntax, then .dtsi is the right name. It looks to me like
> this style has been followed in both the imx and s3c64xx cases.
>
> On a side note, I'm not really a fan of this pattern:
>
> #define FOO1 1 2 3
>
> #define BAR FOO1 FOO2 FOO3
>
> While it definitely simplifies the dts files, it would never be used
> in C and obfuscates what the actual property size is. Reading a dts
> file, I would naturally assume the define was a single value while in
> fact it could expand to a very large property size.

For more complex yet tedious repetitive cases like GPIO banks and
pins I've seen #define directives which introduce "functions"
(macros with parameters).  They appear to be rather useful, can
reflect very well the essence of the information, don't
necessarily pretend to be single values, but still may hide how
many cells they expand to.  For example:

  arch/arm/boot/dts/tegra30-cardhu.dtsi:
    interrupts = <TEGRA_GPIO(L, 0) IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;

virtually yours
Gerhard Sittig
HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr. 5, D-82194 Groebenzell, Germany
Phone: +49-8142-66989-0 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80  Email: office at denx.de