spi-rspi I/O errors

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Fri Jan 10 04:20:49 EST 2014

Hi Laurent,

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 7:14 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:
>> > It seems to get a stale value. I ended up doing the printk() anyway, and
>> > when reading using small buffer sizes, the issues is more likely to
>> > happen.
>> >
>> > If I add a second copy of rspi->spsr, and make that copy volatile OR add
>> > a few calls to smp_mb() around the places where it's written and read,
>> > the copy has the right value inside rspi_wait_for_interrupt(), BUT only if
>> > I also print the spsr value inside rspi_irq(). Note that the original
>> > rspi->spsr still has the stale value.
>>
>> Do I understand it correctly that the SPSR value read from the register in
>> rspi_irq() is always correct on the first read, and that only the rspi->spsr
>> value stored in memory and read in rspi_wait_for_interrupt() is wrong ?
>> > I'd expect wake_up() and wait_event_timeout() to have the right memory
>> > barriers (cfr. Documentation/memory-barriers.txt), so I don't have to add
>> > my own. And why does it need the extra printk()? What extra
>> > synchronization
>> > does that give?
>>
>> Have you tried adding explicit memory barriers without any extra printk ?

Yes, cfr. "add a few calls to smp_mb()" above.

>> > Note that the interrupt handler always runs on CPU core 0, while
>> > rspi_wait_for_interrupt() can run on core 0 or 1. Is there a
>> > cache-coherency issue between the two CPU cores?
>>
>> I'd be very surprised if that was the case, as there should be lots of other
>> breakages, but let's not rule that out too fast. Magnus should be able to
>> help you more than I can regarding that.
>
> Could you verify that the SMP bit is set in ACTLR
> (http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.ddi0388e/CIHHDDHJ.html)

ACTLR = 0x000000c0 on CPU 0
ACTLR = 0x00000040 on CPU 1

0xc0 = EXCL | SMP
0x40 = SMP

The different EXCL value seems strange to me, especially considering the comment
about the matching cache controller configuration:

[7] EXCL
Exclusive cache bit.
The exclusive cache configuration does not permit data to reside in L1
and L2 at the same time. The exclusive cache configuration provides
support for only caching data on an eviction from L1 when the inner
cache attributes are Write-Back, Cacheable and allocated in L1. Ensure
that your cache controller is also configured for exclusive caching.
0 = disabled. This is the reset value.
1 = enabled.

CCing the list with the more ARM-knowledgeable people...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds