[ARM] Fix kernel compile error: drivers/crypto/ixp4xx_crypto.c.

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Wed Jan 1 07:46:25 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 01, 2014 at 01:37:46PM +0100, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> Last time I checked (few days ago, 'git grep -w Fixes:') it
> wasn't, at least not within the kernel source tree and its
> Documentation hierarchy.  Today's master still does not have it.
>
> But a quick search in recent LAKML messages reveals that it's
> been in use by e.g. Olof Johansson, Jason Cooper, Rusty Russell,
> Dan Carpenter, Russell King, Mark Brown, Stephen Warren, Paul
> Walmsley, and I'm not making this up but am just referring to
> what repeatedly was requested in the past.  The form used there
> was "Fixes: <hash> (<oneline>)" though.  A doc update may be due
> to have a canonical format.

It was discussed at kernel summit, and I believe the resulting format
was only published in one of the kernel summit mailing lists.  The
outcome of it as I understand was that the format is:

Fixes: <hash> ("<one line summary>")

Though the addition of the quotes was (iirc) only something added after
the vocal discussion.  If you mail Linus a patch with a fixes line which
doesn't match that, Linus will probably fix it up... (Linus has done that
with one of mine in the past.)