OMAP 4430 SDP: rather sick with recent kernels

Jyri Sarha jsarha at ti.com
Thu Dec 18 05:12:10 PST 2014

On 12/18/2014 01:48 PM, Peter Rosin wrote:
> Russel King wrote:
> *snip*
>> Now, we have this call to snd_soc_of_parse_audio_routing(), which
>> allocates some memory, copies the old routes into it, and then adds
>> to them from DT.  That explains why the pointer and number of routes
>> are different - there's 19 routes in omap4-sdp.dts - 17 + 19 = 36.
>> So that doesn't work - but importantly, it does point towards a
>> possible culpret - snd_soc_of_parse_audio_routing().
>>
>> This is obvious when you stop and think about what it's doing, this is
>> truely where this bug lies, and it /is/ in generic ASoC code.
>>
>> The problem is that this function doesn't consider the implications of
>> deferred probing.  Let's see what happens if we defer, and re-do the
>> ABE initialisation, including calling this function:
>>
>> 17 + 19 = 36. - first probe
>> 17 + 19 + 19 = 55. - second probe
>>
>> Oh - that works in terms of the number, and it would also explain why
>> the table has been screwed - because the second time we memcpy(), we're
>> memcpy()ing from data which was allocated via devm_kzalloc(), and thus
>> would have been freed after the first failed probe.
>>
>> Mark - this is a core ASoC problem.
>
> Sorry about this, I wasn't even aware of deferred probing when I wrote
> f8781db8aeb1. From my point of view, it is certainly possible to solve this
> in the card driver which needs to add card dapm routes instead. So, a
> revert is fine by me, if no better solution comes up.

Looks to me that for this feature we would need a separate function,
something like:
int snd_soc_of_parse_audio_routing_append(struct snd_soc_card *card,
				   	const char *propname);

even if the implementation behind would be the same. But I guess it is
little late for new designs at this phase.

Best regards,
Jyri