[GIT PULL] ARM: SoC fixes for 3.17-rc

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Sun Aug 24 17:03:14 PDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 3:58 PM, Linus Torvalds
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Olof Johansson <olof at lixom.net> wrote:
>>
>> are available in the git repository at:
>>
>>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git fixes
>
> Grr. Yes and no.
>
> You didn't really mean for me to pull that branch, you meant for me to
> pull your tag "fixes-for-linus".

Yes, of course -- and I missed that.

> Where did this fail? Do you still run an old broken git version that
> guesses at what the pull target is, and makes sh*t up? Please update
> if so.
>
> And if not, how did the tag contents get added to the pull request
> despite the pull request not mentioning the tag?

TL;DR: My fault, I'll double-check this in the future.

Long version:

100% operator error due to the tools changing. I'm still used to
looking for the warning that it doesn't find/use the remote tag as a
safety for these mistakes.

I'm still used to the older version that figured out tag name on its
own, so I did my usual:

 * run request-pull to double-check what's in the branch
 * create the tag
 * push the tag
 * rerun request-pull with the tag, redirect to file
...and then finally send the email with the file contents.

What I forgot to do was change the command line between the first and
the second run -- the first one referenced the branch, the second
should have referenced the tag but I just reused the same command from
history.

The old version of git that auto-guessed branch/tag name used to warn
if it used a tag to create the pull request, but didn't find the tag
in the remote repo. I suppose it'd be useful if the current version
warned if the third argument wasn't referring to the same tag as well,
it would definitely have saved me here.

-Olof