[RFC] usb issue on imx27: 3 clocks are needed

gwenhael.goavec gwen at trabucayre.com
Tue Aug 19 01:47:46 PDT 2014

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 08:18:17 +0800
Peter Chen <peter.chen at freescale.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 01:49:03PM +0200, gwenhael.goavec wrote:

> > > How to handle node_usb_soc1's clock which is without clk name to consistent with three
> > > clocks for node_usb_soc2 at driver? Except for adding some platform judge code at
> > > driver, do you have other solutions?
> > >
> > > node_usb_soc1: {
> > > 	clocks = <&clks IMX6_CLK_USBOH3>;
> > > };
> > >
> > > node_usb_soc2: {
> > > 	clocks = <&clks IMX27_CLK_USBIPG>, <&clks IMX27_CLK_USBOH3>, <&clks IMX27_CLK_USBPER>;
> > > 	clock-names = "ipg", "ahb", "per";
> > > };
> > >
> > > Peter
> > > --
> >
> > Our idea is something like this :
> > node_usb_soc: {
> > 	clocks = <&clks IMX27_CLK_USBxxx>;
> > 	clock-names = "main_clk";
> > };
> > for all CPUs
> >
> > and
> > node_usb_imx27: {
> > 	clocks = <&clks IMX27_CLK_USB_IPG_GATE>,
> > 		<&clks IMX27_CLK_USB_DIV>;
> > 	clock-names = "main_clk", "per";
> > };
> >
> > For imx27 and CPUs with the need of more than one clock.
> >

> Just like Shawn said, it breaks DT compatibility, how the old dtb works
> with newer version kernel after you change.

New dtsi must be updated according to the clock name and to avoid breaking old
dtb, i think the best way is to to do something like :

data->clk = devm_clk_get(&pdev->dev, "main_clk");
if (IS_ERR(data->clk)) {
	/* DT compatibility */
	data->clk = devm_clk_get(&pdev->dev, NULL);
	if (IS_ERR(data->clk)) {
		dev_err(&pdev->dev,
			"Failed to get main clock, err=%ld\n",
			PTR_ERR(data->clk));