VFP available on a single CPU in a dual-CPU complex

Florian Fainelli f.fainelli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 12:00:07 PDT 2014

On 08/15/2014 11:54 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 15 August 2014 10:14:45 Will Deacon wrote:

>>> Wow, that is pretty crazy.

>>> I think adding hooks to the scheduler for this case is problematic, so
>>> the easiest way would of course be to give the user a choice between
>>> VFP or SMP on this hardware. For anything beyond that, you could do
>>> a prototype patch (possibly for integration into OpenWRT) so we can
>>> see how ugly it gets to support this setup.
>>
>> I agree. We have something similar on the Realview-PBX (dual A9, only one
>> CPU with NEON) and the answer is not to enable NEON if you want SMP.
>
> Does that work with a multiplatform kernel?
>
> I have patches to enable realview for ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM, and I wonder
> if that gets in the way. Do we have code to detect this setup at runtime
> and disable NEON/VFP if only a subset of the enabled CPUs have it?

I was wondering about that too, here are the two options I see for these
pathological cases:

- if SMP is enabled, and CONFIG_VFP is also enabled, refuse bringing up
cores that do not support VFP/NEON, thus becoming a SMP on UP, and do
that for the platform/SoC-specific SMP support code

- or, in the VFP initialization, completely disable VFP (overriding
VFP_arch in SoC specific code?) because at least one of CPU does not
support it

I would favor enabling SMP over enabling VFP, because that's probably
what most people would expect.
--
Florian