[linux-sunxi] simplefb: add clock handling

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Wed Aug 13 05:58:09 PDT 2014

Op 13 aug. 2014, om 14:17 heeft Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> het volgende geschreven:

>> So what you are saying is that the only reason it is needed is because some
>> distros choose to build DRM drivers as modules.  So as soon as they stop
>> doing that the problem goes away, right?
>
> I think many people will be very happy to be able to get some visual
> feedback on their boot problems.  Having to connect a serial console is
> a deal breaker for most people.

As was said earlier in the thread, a proper DRM/KMS driver doesn't prevent that. The only thing preventing that would be:

a) kernels with graphics drivers disabled
b) kernels with graphics drivers as modules that get loaded late.

Please stop insinuation that DRM/KMS drivers can't handle boot messages.