Request to include Mailbox tree in linux-next

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Fri Aug 8 07:45:10 PDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 08:03:01PM +0530, Jassi Brar wrote:
> On 8 August 2014 16:00, Russell King - ARM Linux <linux at arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 02:29:12PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >> Hi Jassi,

> >> This is really late for v3.17.  The purpose of linux-next is to
> >> discover interactions between trees before they are pulled into Linus'
> >> tree and to do some cross architecture build checking.  Adding a tree
> >> during the merge window is not very helpful to that.
> >
> > +1.
> >
> > The same goes for any tree which is part of linux-next.
> >
> > Having a tree in linux-next carries with it the responsibility that the
> > tree owner abides by the kernel development cycle, which includes
> > respecting the moratorium on merging new development into branch(es)
> > which are part of linux-next during an actively open merge window.
> >
> I wasn't aware that any new subsystem must live at least one cycle in
> linux-next, I submitted it for inclusion just because someone
> suggested that as the next best thing to merging this cycle.

Not "one cycle" but the general rule is that changes must be queued in
linux-next at the latest one week before the merge window opens.

What is a definite no-no is introducing new development which haven't
been seen in linux-next during an open merge window.

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 9.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.