[Ksummit-2013-discuss] ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Oct 25 04:52:53 EDT 2013

On 10/24/2013 12:33 PM, Maxime Bizon wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-10-24 at 10:52 +0100, Grant Likely wrote:
>
>> At this point if the hardware exists then it should be described in DTB,
>> even if it is merely compatible, reg, interrupts and maybe clocks
>
> if your driver does not use them, chances are you'll get them wrong.
>
>> properties. In many cases that is all that is required. It /is/ okay to
>> amend a binding later and to use default values if the new properties
>> aren't present.
>
> how do you handle the case of a wrong property, because you only wrote
> hardware description and not the driver ?
>
>> hardware description when enabling previously unused peripherals, but it
>> is absolutely not friendly to change a binding/driver in a what that fails on
>> previously working DTB (with the caveat that if no one notices, it
>> isn't breakage).
>
> ok then how do we solve that case:
>
>  - Marvell SOC 1 is mainlined
>  - Marvell SOC 2 is mainlined
>  - Marvell SOC 'x' is mainlined
>  - "PIO" hw crypto driver is written, working for all SOCs
>  - [1 year]
>  - SOCs bindings are marked as stable
>  - [1 year]
>  - someone rewrite the driver of hw crypto to use DMA, existing binding
> is not ok because clock 'foo' or interrupt 'bar', now required, are not
> present.
>
> what is the process merge that driver ?
>
> if the answer is that you need to keep PIO mode in driver so that
> existing DTBs still works with it, then this is just plain *wrong*.

That situation describes enabling a new feature. New features aren't
necessarily expected to work without revising the DT, e.g. adding new
properties/entries to describe the additional clocks/DMA-channels/...
that are required. In many cases, those additions can even be made in a
backwards-compatible way. Compatibility means that we shouldn't break
old functionality, not that we shouldn't augment the existing bindings.