[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [RFC] of: Allow for experimental device tree bindings

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Oct 24 18:29:33 EDT 2013

On 10/24/2013 09:34 AM, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 18:20:02 +0100, Wolfram Sang <wsa at the-dreams.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Do we really want to polute the drivers and DT files with a ! in the
>>> compatible values? I thought we'd considered that, but chosen having the
>>> drivers that use unstable bindings depend on a Kconfig option as an
>>> alternative, not an additional step?
>>
>> I'd even go further and use "unstable-" as the prefix instead of "!"
>> which is way more explicit.
>>

>>> The one issue with doing this is that if a binding is thought to be
>>> unstable, but becomes stable later without any changes, we'll have to do
>>> busy-work to remove the ! in all the DT files, thus artificially
>>> introducing an incompatibility. Perhaps that's fine though?
>>
>> I'd say yes. Going from unstable to stable is quite a step for a binding
>> and that should be visible and worth a patch IMO. Also, when looking at
>> a DTS file or some driver code, it will avoid
>> confusion/misinterpretation if one can see immediately the status of a
>> binding.
>
> No, it shouldn't. Going from unstable to stable is not a large step, rather it is coming to the point of looking around and realizing that the binding is working quite well.
>
> I don't think the solution is to put this into the kernel to be checked
> at runtime. The better solution is to put it into DTC and make it
> complain (either warn or error; depending on build config?) about usage
> of compatible strings that are marked in the binding documentation as
> unstable.

I don't think that's what we talked about on Wednesday though. At a
quick glance, this didn't make it into the meeting notes though[1], but
is in the presentation we created for the kernel summit readout. Is
sharing a link to that before it's presented OK?

[1] http://etherpad.osuosl.org/arm-ksummit-2013-day-2