[Ksummit-2013-discuss] [RFC] of: Allow for experimental device tree bindings

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Oct 23 12:05:32 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-10-23 at 17:06 +0200, Thierry Reding wrote:
> +       /* check if binding is experimental */
> +       if (dev != device || drv != driver) {
> +               pr_warn("of: device %s (%s) uses an experimental binding\n",
> +                       np->name, np->full_name);
> +

In the discussions earlier I think we decided that this should set a
taint flag too. If you've built a kernel with CONFIG_OF_EXPERIMENTAL
(which I think we were calling CONFIG_UNSTABLE_DT) then you have no
expectation that it will boot tomorrow, although it might work with your
DTB today.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation