[Ksummit-2013-discuss] ARM topic: Is DT on ARM the solution, or is there something better?

Guenter Roeck linux at roeck-us.net
Mon Oct 21 18:51:25 EDT 2013

On 10/21/2013 01:19 PM, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 10/21/2013 09:54 AM, Thierry Reding wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 10:26:54PM +0100, Stephen Warren wrote:
>>> I wonder if DT is solving the problem at the right level of
>>> abstraction? The kernel still needs to be aware of all the
>>> nitty-gritty details of how each board is hooked up different,
>>> and have explicit code to deal the union of all the different
>>> board designs.
>>>
>>> For example, if some boards have a SW-controlled regulator for a
>>> device but others don't, the kernel still needs to have driver
>>> code to actively control that regulator, /plus/ the regulator
>>> subsystem needs to be able to substitute a dummy regulator if
>>> it's optional or simply missing from the DT.
>>>
>>> Another example: MMC drivers need to support some boards
>>> detecting SD card presence or write-protect via arbitrary GPIOs,
>>> and others via dedicated logic in the MMC controller.
>>>
>>> In general, the kernel still needs a complete driver to every
>>> last device on every strange board, and needs to support every
>>> strange way some random board hooks all the devices together.
>>
>> I have some difficulty understanding what you think should've been
>> moved out of the kernel. There's only so much you can put into data
>> structures and at some point you need to start writing device
>> specific code for the peripherals that you want to drive.
>
> My point was that (part of) the intent of adding DT support to the
> kernel was to get rid of all the board-specific code/churn in the
> kernel. That's not really possible, since DT is just representing the
> data about the HW (e.g. which GPIO/IRQ numbers) and not the behaviour.
> In order to really remove signifcant board-specific code from the
> kernel, you need to move behaviour out of the kernel too, i.e. hide it
> behind some kind of firmware or virtualization interface, and hence
> have simpler drivers that don't know all the details.

In my opinion, not being able to describe behavior (or what people refer
to as "describe how the hardware is used") is a severe limitation of
devicetree usage in Linux. That is not a devicetree limitation per se,
though, it is simply a matter of choice (or, in some cases, the ability
of those arguing for new bindings to sell those bindings as "hardware
description").

Guenter