at91sam9263 not booting on 3.12-rc1

Nicolas Ferre nicolas.ferre at atmel.com
Fri Oct 4 10:17:47 EDT 2013

Hi Daniel,

On 26/09/2013 15:27, Daniel Lezcano :
> On 09/23/2013 11:31 PM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Daniel Lezcano
>> <daniel.lezcano at linaro.org> wrote:
>>
>>> So I enabled the CONFIG_USE_OF, the dtb are correctly generated.
>>>
>>> I tried to boot again, specifying the dtb address with bootm.
>>>
>>> tftp 0x20000000 /var/lib/tftpboot/at91/arch/arm/boot/usb_a9263.dtb
>>>
>>> tftp 0x21000000 /var/lib/tftpboot/at91/arch/arm/boot/uImage
>>>
>>> bootm 0x21000000 - 0x20000000
>>>
>>> but without success.
>>>
>>> I am wondering what I could be doing wrong ...
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciate.
>>>
>>>     -- Daniel
>>>

>>> ps: u-boot is "U-Boot 2010.09 (Oct 27 2010 - 12:28:54)"
>>
>> I am not familiar with this board, but most likely this old U-boot
>> does not support dtb booting.
>> You can check whether "#define CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT" is included in your
>> board config file.
>>
>> You could also try to update the bootloader or try to generate a
>> kernel + dtb image (need to select CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB option in
>> the kernel).
>
> Hi Fabio,
>
> thanks for your answer. It took me awhile to setup everything and find
> the right tools.
>
> So I tried CONFIG_ARM_APPENDED_DTB but that does not work. I did not
> give much credit to that as it is flagged experimental.

Well I managed to use this technique successfully several of times. But
maybe you still have to modify the machine ID.

> Then I tried to flash a more recent u-boot but something went wrong. I
> have still the FlashRom prompt but the ttyACM0 where I can upload the
> u-boot does not appear anymore on my system.
>
> I am totally stuck at this point ...

I hope that Jean-Christophe can help you with this as he is aware of the
Calao boards.

There is probably a way to recover access to the SAM-BA prompt that will
allow you to regain access to the flashing process. I have just fount
this wiki page:
http://www.calao-systems.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=USB-A9263_Software#How_to_install_SAM-BA_from_buildroot

BTW, I think you should use barebox instead of u-boot as the support
should be more complete.

Bye,
--
Nicolas Ferre