[GIT PULL 7/7] omap mailbox move to drivers for v3.11 merge window

Anna, Suman s-anna at ti.com
Thu Jun 20 18:56:49 EDT 2013

Arnd,

> On Tuesday 18 June 2013, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > The following changes since commit
> 317ddd256b9c24b0d78fa8018f80f1e495481a10:
> >
> >   Linux 3.10-rc5 (2013-06-08 17:41:04 -0700)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> >   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap tags/omap-
> for-v3.11/mailbox-signed
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to d2e993289cc5f1780ce74188e3a8d2b404748397:
> >
> >   Merge tag 'omap-mailbox-for-v3.11' of git://github.com/sumananna/mailbox
> into omap-for-v3.11/mailbox (2013-06-17 03:51:54 -0700)

> > Move OMAP Mailbox framework to drivers via Suman Anna <s-anna at ti.com>
> >
> > The OMAP Mailbox driver framework is moved out of arch/arm folder
> > into drivers/mailbox folder, to re-enable building it and also serve
> > as a baseline for adapting to the new mailbox driver framework. The
> > changes mainly contain:
> >   - a minor bug fix and cleanup of mach-specific mailbox code
> >   - remove any header dependencies from plat-omap for multi-platform
> >     support
> >   - represent mailbox device data through platform data/hwmod attrs
> >   - move the omap mailbox code out of plat-omap/mach-omapX to
> >     drivers/mailbox folder
> >

> I've pulled this into next/drivers as well, rather than a separate
> branch that we had for 3.10 (and dropped). I am a bit puzzled about
> this series though. Is it right that for 3.10 we had plans for a
> generic subsystem, and now it's just the omap drivers?

Yes, we still have a plan for a generic subsystem, and these would form the
the base patches of OMAP adaptation towards that. OMAP mailbox was disabled
since couple of releases now because of the multi-platform enablement. There were
couple of different work-items needed on OMAP mailbox like fixing the multi-platform,
converting to DT and adapting to the new framework. The previous subsystem was
derived of the OMAP mailbox, so the first and last items were kinda automatic. The
newest one based on Jassi's work is not gonna reuse any OMAP stuff, so this series
handles the first one to avoid a huge pending patchset for OMAP on the generic
framework finalization.

Regards
Suman