DMA mapping API(IOMMU) for ARM64?

Marek Szyprowski m.szyprowski at samsung.com
Wed Jun 19 05:29:18 EDT 2013

Hello,

On 6/18/2013 2:50 PM, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 12:01:37PM +0100, Hiroshi Doyu wrote:
> > Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de> wrote @ Tue, 18 Jun 2013 12:32:44 +0200:

> > > I'm sure that other architectures are interested in sharing the code.
> > > Best move it into the global mm/ directory, at least the version for
> > > coherent mappings.
> >
> > I'm guessing that this kind of unification usually takes some time
> > since we need to factor out the common code from the different
> > ${ARCH}/mm/dma-mapping.c. Also some of ${ARCH} has IOMMU support in
> > it. So if we want to develop our 64-bit ARM with working DMA mapping
> > API during this transition, the step to take would be:
> >
> > 1, Copy arch/arm/mm/dma-mapping.c arch/arm64/mm/dma-mapping.c(+swiotlb)
> > 2, Adapt arch/arm64/mm/dma-mapping.c(+swiotlb) to 64bit compatible.
> > 3, Factor out the common code from them into mm/dma-mapping.c
>
> Or add the relevant code to something like lib/iommu-helper.c, convert
> arm64 to use that and we can work on converting arm and other
> architectures afterwards.

I think that this would be the best way of providing iommu support for
dma mapping
subsystem(s). I initially put it in arm/mm/dma-mapping.c because it was
the first
approach of integrating generic IOMMU with DMA-mapping and it was simply
easier to
have all the code in one place. Now, when second client of such approach
comes, it
should be much easier to identify which part of the code is common and
which one is
specific to particular implementation. Feel free to ask any questions if
you need
help. I don't have access to any ARM64 machine or simulator, so I can
only review
the code.

Best regards
--