[Arm-netbook] getting allwinner SoC support upstream (was Re: Uploading linux (3.9.4-1))

luke.leighton luke.leighton at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 05:08:50 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Tomasz Figa <tomasz.figa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now that the discussion went off from "you stupid kernel developers

 *lol*.  i get that summary ["you said people were stupid!!!"] a lot.
i don't quite understand where it comes from, otherwise i would stop
doing it :)

> adopted DeviceTree without even asking a closed company about their
> proprietary solution, which does the same" to something a bit more
> constructive, let me point some of the benefits.

> [snip...]

 ahh, magic.  these have gone straight into that proposal.  i think
the best ones - the gems - are the test-coverage and formally allowing
public interaction.

 the test coverage because it will reduce the risk of errors in the
silicon [you never know when developing both hardware and software
where the bug might be] as well as reduce the development time and
development costs.

 the public interaction (which i was going to ask thomas and maxime
about, this morning) because it means a much faster feedback loop.

 i've been trying to think of ways to link "if you do X it will result
in more sales and reduce risk" to the discussion, and i think you
finally hit it tomasz, so thank you.

l.