pxa27x and pinctrl-single

Mike Dunn mikedunn at newsguy.com
Thu Jun 6 20:48:41 EDT 2013

On 06/06/2013 04:58 PM, Haojian Zhuang wrote:
> On 7 June 2013 01:33, Mike Dunn <mikedunn at newsguy.com> wrote:

[...]

>> Yes, but currently pinctrl-single only supports writing one register for a given
>> pin (with multiple pins sharing a register if bit-per-mux==true).  On pxa27x, a
>> pin's alt function is determined by the values written to both the GAFRx and the
>> GPDRx registers, so I think that pinctrl-single may need to allow a device tree
>> to specify multiple reg/value/mask sets for any one pin.  I don't have a
>> pxa3xx/mmp developer's manual handy, but from the code it appears that on these
>> arches the direction register is irrelevant to the mux setting.
>>

> No, it's not need to access both GAFRx & GPDRx. Let's focus on PXA27x first.
>
> GPIO ‘x’ Alternate Function Select Bits (where x = 112 through 120)
> A bit-pair in this register determines the corresponding GPIO pin’s
> functionality as one of the alternate functions that is mapped to it or as a
> generic GPIO pin.
>
> 0b00 = The corresponding GPIO pin (GPIO<x>) is used as a general-
> purpose I/O.
> 0b01 = The corresponding GPIO pin (GPIO<x>) is used for its alternate
> function 1.
> 0b10 = The corresponding GPIO pin (GPIO<x>) is used for its alternate
> function 2.
> 0b11 = The corresponding GPIO pin (GPIO<x>) is used for its alternate
> function 3.
>
> We can see that GAFRx configures the pinmux. That's all. We can use
> pinctrl-single
> driver to cover this.

But on the pxa27x there are usually *two* meanings for any one of the 3 alt
functions, depending on the direction.  As a random example... gpio28 alt fn
0b01 is AC97_BITCLK if the direction is input, but is I2S_BITCLK if the
direction is output (from PXA27x Developer's Manual, Table 24-2).

> I know that you're also talking the implementation in gpio-pxa driver.
> __gpio_is_occupied() checks both GAFRx & GPDRx. Because this GPIO
> pin should be configured as GPIO input. Actually we could also discard the
> checking.
>
> So there's no relationship between GAFRx and GPDRx.

But I am thinking on pxa27x there is... see my example above.  Perhaps this is
not true for the later Marvell arches and you are missing this point?  Or else I
am stating the obvious to you and I am missing your point.  In either case,
thanks for your patience.

Thanks,
Mike