[Arm-netbook] getting allwinner SoC support upstream (was Re: Uploading linux (3.9.4-1))

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Jun 5 18:54:23 EDT 2013

On 06/05/2013 03:59 PM, Henrik Nordström wrote:
> ons 2013-06-05 klockan 22:24 +0100 skrev Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton:
>>  so the point is: if anyone wishes me to propose to allwinner that
>> they convert over to devicetree, or any other proposal which involves
>> significant low-level changes to their working practices that could
>> potentially have a massive knock-on effect onto their
>> multi-million-dollar clients, it had better be a damn good story.
>
> Calm down. It isn't really a significant difference to them outside of
> the kernel. They do not need to change any of their configuraiton
> methods, only a small toolchain change in how the resultig images are
> built to have a corresponding device tree built.

If U-Boot needs to be parametrized, there are in theory a few options open:

1) Put all the parameters in the U-Boot configuration header. This is
normal.

2) Read some data structure at run-time. This data structure could in
theory be some SoC-specific blob format (e.g. the packed version of
information that some tool extracts from FEX/DT), a whole FEX blob, or
device tree. The U-Boot maintainers have already indicated that they
won't accept the first two options; run-time configuration has to be via
DT, and not via some SoC-specific mechanism. (As I found out to my
detriment when I attempted to make U-Boot on Tegra determine which UART
to use for debug at run-time by reading the configuration header that
our boot ROM uses). Now of course, boot0/boot1 could always transform
whatever data structure they wish into a DTB before passing that to
U-Boot...