Enable arm_global_timer for Zynq brakes boot

Daniel Lezcano daniel.lezcano at linaro.org
Wed Jul 31 17:08:51 EDT 2013

On 07/31/2013 10:58 PM, Sören Brinkmann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:49:06PM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

>>> So, the correct run results (full output attached).
>>>
>>> The vanilla kernel uses the twd timers as local timers and the TTC as
>>> broadcast device:
>>> 	Tick Device: mode:     1
>>> 	Broadcast device
>>> 	Clock Event Device: ttc_clockevent
>>>
>>> When I remove the offending CPUIDLE flag and add the DT fragment to
>>> enable the global timer, the twd timers are still used as local timers
>>> and the broadcast device is the global timer:
>>> 	Tick Device: mode:     1
>>> 	Broadcast device
>>> 	Clock Event Device: arm_global_timer
>>>
>>> Again, since boot hangs in the actually broken case, I don't see way to
>>> obtain this information for that case.
>>
>> Can't you use the maxcpus=1 option to ensure the system to boot up ?
>
> Right, that works. I forgot about that option after you mentioned, that
> it is most likely not that useful.
>
> Anyway, this are those sysfs files with an unmodified cpuidle driver and
> the gt enabled and having maxcpus=1 set.
>
> /proc/timer_list:
> 	Tick Device: mode:     1
> 	Broadcast device
> 	Clock Event Device: arm_global_timer
> 	 max_delta_ns:   12884902005
> 	 min_delta_ns:   1000
> 	 mult:           715827876
> 	 shift:          31
> 	 mode:           3

Here the mode is 3 (CLOCK_EVT_MODE_ONESHOT)

The previous timer_list output you gave me when removing the offending
cpuidle flag, it was 1 (CLOCK_EVT_MODE_SHUTDOWN).

Is it possible you try to get this output again right after onlining the
cpu1 in order to check if the broadcast device switches to SHUTDOWN ?

--
 <http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro:  <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |