[Ksummit-2013-discuss] Defining schemas for Device Tree

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Tue Jul 30 08:12:59 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 09:45:32AM +1000, David Gibson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 06:48:40PM -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:

> > > I've always considered the DT to be unordered, although the flattened
> > > representation obviously has to have some order.  It is much safer to
> > > explicitly represent any required orderings with properties, rather
> > > than to rely on the flattened tree order.  I really don't think trying
> > > to have dtc magically understand device initialization ordering in
> > > this way is a good idea.
> > >
> > > Fwiw, dtc generally preserves order between input and output, with the
> > > exception of the -s option, which sorts the subnodes of each node by
> > > name (useful for dtdiff).

> > > It's not necessarily possible to encode device initialization order in
> > > flattened tree order.  Suppose you have bus A with devices A1 and A2,
> > > and bus B with devices B1 and B2.  A1 must be initialized before B1,
> > > but B2 must be initialized before A2.  There are no loops there, it's
> > > a valid set of initialization order constraints, but you can't get
> > > both of them right in the flat tree ordering.
> >
> > True, but is there a real scenario where this is the case?  In any
> > event, this could still fall back to deferred probing.
>
> I never count on weird and wonderful arrangements _not_ appearing in
> embedded.

:-)

> But, in regards to falling back do deferred probing.  If you're
> thinking of the fdt ordering as purely an optimization, rather than
> _required_ to get device init correct, then that's a very different
> matter.  I have no problem with optimizing the ordering, as long as
> its expected that the kernel will still be correct with arbitrary
> ordering.

Yes, after sleeping on it a night, I agree.

> > As I think about it more, working with only what dtc can definitely see,
> > eg busses and phandles, some ordering optimization could be done to
> > reduce the number of probe deferrals.
>
> Well.  It depends what you mean here.  To do this fully would require
> dtc to interpret properties much more than it currently does - in
> nearly all cases it treats them as opaque blobs, whereas many
> different kinds of properties can potentially include phandles, and
> you have to know how to parse them to discover them.
>
> On the other hand, if what you're referring to is dtc's &-syntax for
> phandle references, then I guess we could topsort on that.  As long as
> we bear in mind that that can miss cases, if people hand craft their
> phandles, instead of using references.

Just this would eliminate a majority of probe deferrals.

For example, on the Seagate Wireless Plus I was recently trying to put a
mainline kernel on, all of the probe deferrals were pinctrl related.
Just topsorting that node would've fixed the problem.

thx,

Jason.