[Ksummit-2013-discuss] Defining schemas for Device Tree

jonsmirl at gmail.com jonsmirl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 20:49:31 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 8:41 PM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013, Jason Cooper wrote:
>

>>> I don't think that siblings have any defined order in DT.  If reading a
>>> device tree, there's no guarantee you get nodes or properties out in the
>>> same order as the original .dts file.
>>

>> That's why I raised the point.  If people think encoding initialization
>> order in the DT is a good idea, then we should change the dtc so it
>> compiles/decompiles in the same order.
>

> if you make the initializaiton order 'magicly' correct by following the
> order of the flat representation, how do you reflect the case where
> initialization can be overlapped for different devices?

I agree with David, using DT to try and eliminate deferred probes
isn't a good solution.  Overlapped probes and doing probes on multiple
CPUs introduces a temporal angle to the problem. Best to just let the
deferred probing code dynamically solve the problem. From what I can
see the deferred probing solution is working out nicely.

Plus there isn't that much code being run in deferred probing. I
suspect potential savings (if there even is any) are under a
millisecond.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com