[PATCH v6 0/5] clk: implement remuxing during set_rate
james.hogan at imgtec.com
Mon Jul 29 07:24:57 EDT 2013
This patchset adds support for automatic selection of the best parent
for a clock mux, i.e. the one which can provide the closest clock rate
to that requested. It can be disabled by a new CLK_SET_RATE_NO_REPARENT
flag (which is set for all uses of clk_register_mux().
This works by way of adding a new op, determine_rate, similar to
round_rate but with an extra parameter to allow the clock driver to
optionally select a different parent clock. This is used in
clk_calc_new_rates to decide whether to initiate a set_parent operation.
Changes in v6:
* Rebased on v3.11-rc1.
* Added changes to samsung/clk-exynos-audss.c, zynq/clkc.c.
Changes in v5:
* Rebased on latest clk-next ("clk: tegra: Use common of_clk_init
* Updated clock hardware characteristics table in documentation.
Changes in v4:
* rebased on clk-next ("clk: sun5i: Add compatibles for Allwinner A13").
* replace __clk_set_parent_no_recalc with __clk_set_parent.
* never pass NULL to determine_rate's best_parent_clk parameter, and
slight refactor of __clk_round_rate to use local copy of clk->parent.
* a few new comments around use of clk::new_child.
* new patch (patch 2) split out of patch 3 to avoid having to declare
static __clk_set_parent() at the top of clk.c, and to ease readability
of patch 3.
Changes in v3:
* rebased on v3.10-rc1.
* remove double underscore prefix from clk_get_parent_by_index()
* store new_parent_index in struct clk too (calculated from
clk_fetch_parent_index, and passed through __clk_set_parent_no_recalc
* allow determine_rate to satisfy recalc_rate check in __clk_init.
* rename/invert CLK_SET_RATE_REMUX to CLK_SET_RATE_NO_REPARENT and move
to patch 3.
* patch 3: add CLK_SET_RATE_NO_REPARENT flag to all callers of
clk_register_mux. If you don't mind your clocks being reparented in
response to set_rate please let me know and I'll drop the relevant
portion of the patch.
Changes in v2:
I've moved the mux determine_rate implementation into a core helper, but
I haven't pushed it fully into the core, as I think it just wouldn't
work correctly for more complex clocks, e.g. if you (theoretically) had
a combined mux and divide, you'd want to intercept the determine_rate
and ask for a larger rate from the parent clocks, then return the
divided rate. This should be possible by wrapping the mux determine_rate
Patch 1 still exports the __clk_get_parent_by_index as it seems like it
might be a useful thing for clock implementations to have access to if
they ever wanted to do something more fancy with changing clock parents.
I haven't made any attempt to implement the atomic set_parent+set_rate
as I don't have hardware that could take proper advantage of it, but it
shouldn't be too difficult for others to implement if they wanted since
they're fairly close to one another (in clk_change_rate()).
* switched to using new determine_rate op rather than adding an argument
* moved mux implementation into a single helper which should be usable
from more complex clocks which can mux.
* rewrite main implementation so that no changes are made until after
the PRE notifications have been sent, and in a way that should ensure
correct notifications without duplicates, and I think should be safe
in the event of a notification failing.
* various tidy ups and fixes.
James Hogan (5):
clk: abstract parent cache
clk: move some parent related functions upwards
clk: add support for clock reparent on set_rate
clk: add CLK_SET_RATE_NO_REPARENT flag
clk: clk-mux: implement remuxing on set_rate
Documentation/clk.txt | 46 ++--
arch/arm/mach-imx/clk.h | 5 +-
drivers/clk/clk-mux.c | 1 +
drivers/clk/clk.c | 420 +++++++++++++++++++++------------
drivers/clk/mmp/clk-mmp2.c | 39 ++-
drivers/clk/mmp/clk-pxa168.c | 40 ++--
drivers/clk/mmp/clk-pxa910.c | 31 ++-
drivers/clk/mxs/clk.h | 4 +-
drivers/clk/samsung/clk-exynos-audss.c | 6 +-
drivers/clk/samsung/clk.h | 2 +-
drivers/clk/spear/spear1310_clock.c | 179 +++++++-------
drivers/clk/spear/spear1340_clock.c | 97 ++++----
drivers/clk/spear/spear3xx_clock.c | 57 +++--
drivers/clk/spear/spear6xx_clock.c | 35 +--
drivers/clk/sunxi/clk-sunxi.c | 3 +-
drivers/clk/tegra/clk-tegra114.c | 36 ++-
drivers/clk/tegra/clk-tegra20.c | 6 +-
drivers/clk/tegra/clk-tegra30.c | 33 ++-
drivers/clk/versatile/clk-vexpress.c | 4 +-
drivers/clk/zynq/clkc.c | 86 ++++---
include/linux/clk-private.h | 3 +
include/linux/clk-provider.h | 12 +
22 files changed, 692 insertions(+), 453 deletions(-)
More information about the linux-arm-kernel