[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Sat Jul 27 15:45:18 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 4:59 AM, Arend van Spriel <arend at broadcom.com> wrote:
> Let's see how many people go and scream if I say this: Too bad .dts files
> are not done using XML format as DT bindings could be described using XML
> Schema.

Draft an example and show us how it would look!  :-)  There is
absolutely nothing preventing us from expressing a DT in XML format,
or even using XSLT to define DT schema while still using our current
.dts syntax. It would be trivial to do lossless translation between
.dts syntax and xml.

The problem that I have with XML and XSLT is that it is very verbose
and not entirely friendly to mere-mortals. However, I'm more than
willing to be proved wrong on this point.

g.