[Ksummit-2013-discuss] DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Jul 26 10:08:33 EDT 2013

On Fri, 2013-07-26 at 07:38 -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > The scheme is also quite useful for new tree developers since it will
> > show them the universe of device tree attributes that have already
> > been standardized. By using comments, you could probably turn the
> > device tree documentation into the schema source files.
>
> One more note on schema, since DT is a description of hardware, it would
> be useful to have two comments, a url to the datasheet, and a canonical
> name of the datasheet suitable for $searchengine.  Where available, of
> course.

Yes, that's a very good idea. After all, the behaviour described in (a
specific version of) the datasheet is an *implicit* part of the DT
binding. If I tell you "there is an 8390 <here>", then we damn well
ought to agree about how an 8390 behaves. And what revision of the chip
can be assumed from a given 'compatible' string.

David.Woodhouse at intel.com                              Intel Corporation