DT bindings as ABI [was: Do we have people interested in device tree janitoring / cleanup?]

Richard Cochran richardcochran at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 14:48:34 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 07:29:20PM +0100, Mark Rutland wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 07:05:48PM +0100, Stephen Warren wrote:
> >
> > I don't think having people "rely" on the bindings is the issue so much
> > as the awareness that if they do, there will be compatibility issues for
> > unstable bindings.
>
> As long as we can make sufficiently clear that trying to use an unstable
> binding is going to be *very* painful, and not necessarily supported.

Oh, man.

The introduction of DT into ARM Linux was supposed to make everyone's
life sooo much easier. Of course, based on experience with powerpc, I
never believed it*, but still I would expect to hear that the DT
bindings are, well, a *binding* contract between the board developer,
boot loader, and the kernel.

Once it is working with a particular kernel, a DT board description
file should continue to work indefinitely with newer kernels. Anything
less is a regression, pure and simple.

If you go around changing the bindings willy nilly, then what is point
of having DT at all?

Thanks,
Richard

* http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2011-April/046963.html