OMAP4430 SDP boot issues.. (Was Re: OMAP2430 SDP boot broken after Linus' rmk merge)

Santosh Shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at ti.com
Wed Jul 24 11:40:33 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 24 July 2013 10:52 AM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:17:01AM -0400, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:

[..]

>>> Any update on this? If it's an issue introduced by architectural changes,
>>> I'd really like to bisect it down but I don't have a board.
>>>
>> >From the other thread, RMK did manage to get the board booting finally
>> (uImage related issues, low level debug problem) but with DT only supported
>> build, the audio and DSS was not at same state as before(non-DT build).
>> And then Tony pointed the issues to Peter and Tomy to address it further.
>>
>> Russell,
>> Is above right or I am missing something ?
>
> Will is referring to the 2430 issues I think; the original topic of this
> thread.

We crossed the emails. Am just renaming the thread since below summary is
still important for OMAP4430SDP.

> I've not enabled the 4430 again in the build system because I see no point
> to it - it can't find its rootfs because the device numbering for the MMC/SD
> cards has reversed itself.  Not only does that need the kernel command line
> changed, but it also needs fixing in the fstab on the SD card rootfs, and
> quite frankly I really can't be bothered at the moment with this kind of
> pointless boot breaking churn.

The MMC slot change has also troubled us in past in downstream kernel. Am
looping Balaji to see if he can fix it to restore the original ordering.

> I also continue to be disappointed by the lack of things working on the
> 4430 - it's been a number of years now and _still_ the on-board LCDs do
> not work.  People have tried to blame that on hardware faults and the
> like, but they're just being idiotic when they say stuff like that.  It
> can't be hardware faults when the kernel supplied with the board is able
> to make them work to the extent that userspace can play back video on all
> three output devices simultaneously, without hiccup or any imperfection.
> I don't know whether it's just that the backlight support isn't working
> or what - because any information on the 4430 seems to be a tightly
> controlled secret that only a few select people are permitted to know
> about.  As far as I'm concerned, much of the hardware is a black box to
> me.

On the display related issues, Tomi and Archit have been sorting out
issue but am not sure about the current state. If the pre-built binaries
video playback works means your hardware seems to be fine.

> And yes, my 4430 has the projector module on it.  Never ever seen that
> work, and no idea how to make it work because there's no information
> available on the hardware.

I think you mean the Pico DLP module. There was a downstream driver but
am not sure about the state. Archit, Tomi should be able to comment.

> It's a bit like the useless 3430LDP - though there's information available
> there's no way to work out which of the many different designs of 3430LDP
> the one I have ties up with, and I'm pretty sure that all the published
> revisions of the circuits for the 3430LDP do not match the version I have
> here - which means when things go wrong, there's no way for me to look
> at stuff.
>
> And no, I don't want another Beagle board or Panda board or whatever, I
> have those (I think I have one of each), and they've never been powered up
> because they have no ethernet on them, and I have no USB to ethernet still,
> partly because I don't really do USB here *at* *all*, so I don't know what
> works well and what doesn't with Linux.  Even if I did provide them with a
> USB ethernet, I doubt they'd be able to boot a kernel via the network.

We discussed the LDP issue in past. That board is almost dead since almost
no one from TI is using/having it anymore.

> My experience of USB is hellishly poor - I have an icybox eSATA enclosure
> which also provides USB.  The USB interface on that regularly drops out
> with errors, timeouts, and even isn't recognised on many occasions.  I
> see slow serial comms with USB serial devices on platforms like the
> 4430SDP and Dove Cubox - the speed is very much like a 4800baud modem, even
> though the serial runs at 115200 baud.  No, don't even _think_ about blaming
> the host, because this happens whether it be a Thinkpad, or the USB hosts
> in a Thecus N2100.
>
> I can believe why this all happens, when you see USB interrupts taking
> upwards of 3ms to complete:
>
> Longest time: 3247506ns
> Longest irq: 24
> Longest handler: usb_hcd_irq+0x0/0x68
>
> is it hardly surprising that USB is soo crap?  And the above 3ms is just
> for handling a USB keyboard - what takes 3ms over servicing a USB keyboard?
> I mean, what crap USB really is when it behaves like that... and is it
> no wonder I hate the bloody thing.

Felipe might be able to comment better on the above USB topic.

Regards,
Santosh