Issue with gpio and pinmux

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Jul 23 11:47:22 EDT 2013

On 07/22/2013 01:35 AM, Christian Ruppert wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 09:44:10PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:

>>> This we need to get into the documentation.

>>> I guess (b) is what we have.
>>>
>>> But it really feels incomplete does it not? IIRC the system was strict
>>> not to allow simultaneous use of pins for GPIO and other functions
>>> at all until the above corner case made it necessary to relax this
>>> restriction.
>>>
>>> A simple way to get (a) would be to just add a flag like ".strict"
>>> to struct pinmux_ops but it feels cheap.
>>>
>>> What do we need for (c)? I think we can refactor this as the Tegra
>>> and U300 should be the two platforms with such tricky groups so
>>> the impact should be fairly small right now. I'm just worried it would
>>> be a complex and memory-consuming thing :-/
>>
>> Actually, a better way to do (c) might be to just add an extra "op" to
>> struct pinmux_ops; something like validate_gpio_mux(), passing in
>> information such as whether a mux function is in effect on that pin,
>> whether the pin is already claimed as a GPIO, and whether the function
>> is being called to check a GPIO-claim or mux-claim operation . If the op
>> is missing, no "dual claim" is allowed. If the op is present, the code
>> in the op validates whether the particular GPIO is allowed to be claimed
>> while the particular mux function is active.
>>
>> That way, I think any driver that doesn't want to allow dual-claim
>> doesn't have to do anything, but the few drivers that do can code up
>> whatever algorithm they want; for Tegra, I'd just allow everything for
>> simplicity, but we could always enhance that later if we want.
>
> [ An introductory note on terminology: in the following, "port" refers
> to a set of pins who's mux is controlled through the same bit field in
> the same register,

I believe that's exactly what a "pingroup" is in pinctrl subsystem
terminology. Where there is already an existing name for something, it'd
be best to use that so that every person doesn't use a different name
for everything.

> "interface" refers to the set of pins comprising a
> functional unit, e.g. SCL and SDA of an I2C interface or the four pins
> of an SPI interface ]
>
> In my understanding, the problem stems from the fact that we always
> claim an entire port instead of just the pins required for a given
> functionality.

Yes.

> The pinctrl core is already well equipped to manage
> claiming interfaces instead of ports and thus a fourth alternative would
> be to

I would argue that's not the case. pinctrl knows absolutely nothing
about "interfaces"; there is no data structure defines that describes
interfaces at all.

That's not saying such a thing could not be added; I'm simply arguing
that "well equipped" doesn't seem to be true at the moment.

> d) implement gpio/pin conflict management in the already existing
> callbacks inside the driver: Today, both enable and gpio_request_enable
> exist (and can refuse a request for a configuration/pin).
> If we only claim the pins used by a given interface instead of the
> entire port, conflict management becomes natural (see
> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1306.2/00749.html and the
> following).

OK, that's basically the same as my proposal to add a new callback; it's
simply re-using and existing driver callback rather than creating a new
one solely for conflict checking.

Re-using the existing callback(s) seems fine, with appropriate prototype
modification to pass back the list of pins that can-or-can't be
dual-claimed I suppose.

> IMHO, the pinctrl drivers are the right place for everything but the
> most basic pin conflict management since constraints on what can be
> muxed at the same time are highly hardware implementation dependent. One
> could e.g. imagine an implementation where a GPIO can override and snoop
> a pin's output value in one mux configuration, just snoop the pin value
> in another and do neither in a third.
>
> I see two (independent) ways to enhance the pinctrl core in order to
> support drivers in this task:
> a) Add two functions pin_is_claimed and gpio_is_claimed which allow the
> pinctrl driver to query if a given pin/gpio is available for muxing.
> b) Add four functions lock_gpio/unlock_gpio and lock_pin/unlock_pin
> which allow the pinctrl driver to prevent the core from granting
> requests on GPIOs/pins.

Yes, either of those are basically what I proposed in my followup to the
email you're replying to.