preempted dup_mm misses TLB invalidate

Nickolas Fortino nfortino at nvidia.com
Mon Jul 15 14:19:23 EDT 2013

I’ve noticed an issue in simulation where the Linux kernel is executing
a user process when the page tables and TLBs have gotten out of sync.
The page tables have a page marked as user read only, but the TLB has
the page marked as user read/write.

I’ve traced the issue back to the handling of copy on write pages
generated from the ‘do_fork’, ‘copy_process’, ‘dup_mm’, ‘dup_mmap’ call
stack. If run without interruption, ‘dup_mmap’ calls
‘flush_tlb_mm(oldmm)’ on completion, avoiding any issues. In this case,
however, about 4 million instructions after ‘dup_mm’ is called,
‘copy_pte_range’ yields to another thread via __cond_resched. About 20
million instructions later, a user process with the ASID of the source
mm is scheduled. This process performs a store to a page modified from
read/write to read only in the copy on write logic of ‘copy_one_pte’.
Because the TLB was not invalidated, the store hits on a TLB entry with
read/write permissions and succeeds without a fault.

What invariant in the Linux kernel is supposed to prevent this from
happening? Note I have not observed user visible corruption, but it
seems very unlikely a successful store to a page marked as read only in
the kernel is safe.

For reference, this issue was found with the Linux 3.7 kernel coming
from the Linaro 12.12 release available at
http://releases.linaro.org/12.12/android/vexpress