DT binding review for Armada display subsystem

Sylwester Nawrocki sylvester.nawrocki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 18:16:58 EDT 2013

On 07/13/2013 11:02 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 10:43:29PM +0200, Sylwester Nawrocki wrote:
>> I wasn't aware of it, thanks. I've seen a patch from Jiada Wang, it seems
>> they're working on v4 with clock object reference counting. Presumably we
>> need both clk_get() to be taking reference on the module and reference
>> counted clk free, e.g. in cases where clock provider is a hot-pluggable
>> device. It might be too paranoid though, I haven't seen hardware
>> configurations where a clock source could be unplugged safely when whole
>> system is running.
>
> I'm not going to accept refcounting being thrown into clk_get().  The
> clkdev API already has refcounting, as much as it needs to.  It just
> needs people to use the hooks that I provided back in 2008 when I
> created the clkdev API for doing _precisely_ this job.
>
> Have a read through these commits, which backup my statement above:
>
> 0318e693d3a56836632bf1a2cfdafb7f34bcc703 - initial commit of the clkdev API
> d72fbdf01fc77628c0b837d0dd2fd564fa26ede6 - converting Integrator to clkdev API
>
> and it will show you how to do refcounting.  The common clk API just
> needs to stop defining __clk_get() and __clk_put() to be an empty
> function and implement them appropriately for it's clk implementation,
> like they were always meant to be.

Sure, I've already seen the above commits. This is how I understood it
as well - __clk_get(), __clk_put() need to be defined by the common clk
API, since it is going to replace all the arch specific implementations.

> __clk_get() and __clk_put() are the clk-implementation specific parts
> of the clkdev API, because the clkdev API is utterly divorsed from the
> internals of what a 'struct clk' actually is.  clkdev just treats a
> 'struct clk' as a completely opaque type and never bothers poking
> about inside it.

OK, but at the clock's implementation side we may need, e.g. to use kref
to keep track of the clock's state, and free it only when it is unprepared,
all its children are unregistered, etc. ? Is it not what you stated in
your comment to patch [1] ?

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2651171/