SPI: DUAL/QUAD support

Sourav Poddar sourav.poddar at ti.com
Fri Jul 5 03:40:01 EDT 2013

On Friday 05 July 2013 11:55 AM, yuhang wang wrote:
> Hi Thomas:
>
>>> Well, there's two bits here.  One is the support in the client drivers
>>> for using the extra data lines and the other is the support in the SPI
>>> core for telling controllers to do this.  We need that second bit in
>>> place before the first one can be implemented.
>> I am not sure if we do. In the system I am working on, the QSPI controller
>> recognizes the quad mode commands from the Tx data and automatically
>> switches modes; no manual intervention by the flash driver is needed.
>>
>> I agree that this may not be the case for all SPI controllers. Yuhang, can
>> you tell us what your controller will do?
> OK, well my spi controller just sets the certain transfer mode in the register
> to make it in that mode(single,dual,quad). Then it will send and receive datas
> with the specific lines. As master, it should be told the transfer lines by the
> slave. Thus I need some members to deliver the information.

To add to all the discussion going on,
I am using a qspi controller with a spansion flash device.
I tried using quad read mode bit, and what is required to change in
my case is the following:

1. enable quad mode in flash configuration register.
2. change my read opcode to QUAD READ opcode according to flash datasheet.
3. Configure my qspi controller cmd reg to use 6 PIN whenever quad mode
is used.

So,  I don't need to change things in spi framework to get
quad working. Though, as thomas also pointed out, it might
vary from controller to controller.