[RFC] Add .dts file for Netgear ReadyNAS 102

Jason Cooper jason at lakedaemon.net
Wed Jul 3 16:44:51 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 10:35:41PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 04:21:05PM -0400, Jason Cooper wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 12:09:36AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Attached. Usual warning "this will destroy your device etc..." comes
> > > with it.
> >
> > Thanks Willy!
> >
> > How much effort would it be to put this pig in drivers/staging?  iirc,
> > the only rule is that it has to compile...
>
> I think we should at least get it to work again. Otherwise it's pointless
> to pollute the kernel. No way to get any tester if all you get when you
> load it is :
>
>   calling drivers/mtd/nand/armada_nand.c:3227 orion_nfc_probe
>   armada-nand nand.3: Initialize HAL based NFC in 8bit mode with DMA Disabled using BCH 4bit ECC
>   drivers/mtd/nand/armada_nand.c:3318:orion_nfc_probe irq=105
>   armada-nand: probe of nand.3 failed with error -12
>
> Oh damn, I'm back in the code again trying to fix it now...

:-)

> Also we must not put it into staging in its current shape as it
> patches drivers/mtd.

Understood.  That's why I was asking.

> We must first apply Ezequiel's explanation
> about the READID command to detect the ONFI flash. I don't know
> how long this could take. I remember having noticed this difference
> in later drivers that was not there without knowing what it was
> about.

Ok.

> What makes me uncomfortable is that we have guys who have started
> some clean work and in parallel we're doing some crap which will
> discourage Marvell from reprioritizing their work. I'd rather keep
> that as an out of tree patch so that nobody there claims that the
> NAND driver already exists in the kernel.

Good point.  I was thinking the exact opposite :-P  "The in tree driver
is crap, we'd better re-prioritize our work before people default to the
crap driver"  However, I agree that your more cynical pov is probably
more correct.

I'd love to see the mirabox etc supported by mainline debian et al, but
it'll have to wait.

thx,

Jason.