Failure to boot...

Russell King - ARM Linux linux at arm.linux.org.uk
Thu Jan 31 09:27:58 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:50:15PM +0530, Santosh Shilimkar wrote:
> On Thursday 31 January 2013 07:46 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

>>> Well, my tip (which is based on Linus' 6abb7c25) also builds and
>>> boots fine.
>>>
>>> Hang on...
>>>
>>> # CONFIG_ARCH_OMAP2PLUS is not set
>>> CONFIG_ARCH_VEXPRESS=y
>>>
>>> which of course won't boot, and this happens on both oldconfigs because
>>> of the change to multiplatform support.
>>
>> And no, the instructions given last time around to add:
>>
>> # 13 Jan 2013: Update for OMAP moving to multiplatform
>> CONFIG_ARCH_MULTIPLATFORM=y
>> CONFIG_ARCH_MULTI_V7=y
>>
>> don't fix it either, it needs more options defined...
>>
> Linus' tip + Tony's pull [1] request also makes things work
> on OMAP.

Thanks to all this multiplatform stuff, the autobuilder has been building
nothing but Versatile Express kernels for the last 20 days.  That totally
explains why it won't boot.

The only thing I was told is to add the above two config symbols.  That
is not the complete story.  There's also other symbols which need adding
too.  It also looks like Versatile Express support _can't_ be disabled in
a multiplatform kernel, which is ludicrous.

And... fixing the config finally results in something that boots on the
SDP4430.