[GIT PULL] imx cleanup for 3.9

Shawn Guo shawn.guo at linaro.org
Tue Jan 29 10:10:08 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 06:18:57AM -0800, Olof Johansson wrote:
> Ok. Just to make clear: While I personally prefer the regular way of specifying
> the board dts files, my main concern with this patch is that it is _pure
> churn_. It's 1000 lines of change without a functional benefit, and without
> really being a cleanup that benefits long-term development.

You can say it's not a cleanup, but it definitely benefits long-term
development.  It makes board dts development a lot easier, and that's
why I came up with the patch.

> We're starting to get more comments about the volume of churn again (Linus made
> a couple of them the last merge window), and I'd rather be a bit more
> conservative on some of the larger changes that lack strong benefit for
> a release or two, than have him get ticked off and make life miserable for all
> of us.
>
> So, I'm not saying that it's a bad idea to change to labels, but I would rather
> hold off this while we give some of the remaining platforms still not
> multiplatform-enabled a chance to "use the churn quota" since they will need it
> for include file moves, etc, etc.

Then it will hold off the while IMX device tree development.  All the
patches I queued on imx/dt branch are all based on that.  While it
looks like a "churn", it should not cause any conflict, as all IMX
dts changes will go via the same branch for this cycle.  So please
give it a go to avoid hurting people who contribute IMX device tree
development.

Shawn