[Qemu-devel] [RFC] Virtio-desktop: Virtio-based virtual desktop

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Sun Jan 27 09:07:41 EST 2013

Anup Patel <anup.patel at linaro.org> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> How about having a generic Virtio-based machine for emulating a virtual
> desktop ?
>
> I know folks have already thought about this and probably also tried
> something or other on this front but, it will be good to know the downsides.
>
> Virtio-desktop can be a separate specification describing a virtual
> desktop.
> Of-course we cannot avoid few architecture dependent virtual devices in but
> the Virtio-desktop specification will try to keep minimum possible
> architecture dependent devices.

There's a lot of reasons why a pure PV machine type is a bad idea.  Lots
of people have enumerated them in this thread.

But let me mention some things that I think we don't have covered today
with PV:

 - Graphics.  Yes, I know QXL exists but it's (a) dependent on PCI (b)
   lacks the ability to gracefully degrade making it hopelessly tied to
   spice.

 - Input.  PS/2 mouse provides relative input which sucks in guests.
   For absolute input, we have VMMouse which is x86-specific, USB
   tablets (which are expensive to emulate) or the spice mouse which is
   intimately tied to the full Spice stack.

 - Guest interaction.  Copy/paste, drag and drop, etc.  In theory this
   is covered in spice agents but it's all again hopelessly tied to
   Spice which makes it non-portable.

So there's good work todo but it's almost certainly in working with the
Spice community to try to make what they already have more accessible to
non-x86 architectures.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori