OMAP baseline test results for v3.8-rc4

Bedia, Vaibhav vaibhav.bedia at ti.com
Thu Jan 24 07:49:53 EST 2013

Hi Paul,

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 07:54:44, Paul Walmsley wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Regarding the AM33xx test failures with appended DTBs, it would be very
> helpful if especially the TI people could try reproducing the problem.
> Otherwise it's going to cause problems with merging any new AM33xx
> patches, since I won't be able to test them without additional work.
> Plus, this is something that used to work up until d01e4afd, so something
> isn't right.
>
> You'll need to use the bootloader that TI originally shipped with the
> BeagleBones:
>
> U-Boot 2011.09-00009-gcf6e04d (Mar 08 2012 - 17:15:43)
>
> This is because many folks don't replace their bootloader.  I do plan to
> add a test with a recent version of u-boot, but the kernel should not be
> dependent on the bootloader in any way to work correctly.  If it is, then
> we need to document what u-boot version the kernel started to work with.
>
> The Kconfig that I use is here:
>
> http://www.pwsan.com/omap/testlogs/test_v3.8-rc4/20130120122039/build/am33xx_only/am33xx_only
>
> It's possible that there's something wrong with the Kconfig.  It's
> basically just omap2plus_defconfig, but with all OMAP support for
> non-AM33xx turned off, and with the appended DTB and ATAG compatibility
> options turned on.
>
> Let's try to do this ASAP.  That way, if it's some bootloader dependency
> or bug in the kernel, some fix can be merged during the v3.8-rc series,
> which is rapidly drawing to a close.

I could not track down U-Boot that you were using so I used the v2013.01 tag
for U-Boot. However, using your build configs for v3.7 and v3.8-rcX I got the same
observations i.e. v3.7 boots but others don't.

One difference that I found was that post v3.7 the configs that you are using have
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK set. Once I disabled that I was able to bootup v3.8-rc1/4
(didn't try rc2/3 but I suspect early_printk was the culprit there too).

I checked with Santosh on this and he mentioned that for DT-only boot, which AM335x is,
that's expected behavior.

Can you update your AM335x-only config to disable CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK or just skip
earlyprintk option in the bootargs for now?

If you still have issues booting can you update your U-Boot to v2013.01 since things
seem to be working fine at this point.

Regards,
Vaibhav