[GIT PULL] Renesas ARM-based SoC v3.9

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Jan 16 18:43:10 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 03:37:53PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> Hi Olof, Hi Arnd,
>
> I have some complex dependencies for mach-shmobile for v3.9
> and as such I am sending this email outline the dependencies
> of branches on each other. I have also included the multiple
> pull requests below though I am happy to post them
> individually including the patches they comprise if you
> have no objections to the way the branch dependencies are arranged.
>
> I would also be happy to supply a single branch with all changes
> with or without merge commits.

Hmm, complex indeed.

Is there any way to avoid this sequence of ARM -> sh/pinctrl -> ARM ->
sh/pinctrl dependencies? That's what really makes things look complicated
here. If you could move the final cleanup/code removal pieces out of
the sh/pinctrl branches such that you have a less iterative chain of:

sh/pinctrl -> ARM -> final sh/pinctrl cleanup (removal of struct members, etc)

... but I haven't looked in detail at the per-patch dependencies to see how
tough that would be to arrange.

> All branches are present in the renesas tree
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/horms/renesas.git
>
> 1. Branch: sh-soc
>    Based on: v3.8-rc1
>
> 2. Branch: clocksource
>    Based on: v3.8-rc1
>
> 3. Branch: pfc
>    Based on: sh-soc
>
> 4. Branch: sh-soc2
>    Based on: pfc
>
> 5. Branch: soc
>    Based on: a merge of clocksource and pfc
>
> 6. Branch: boards
>    Based on: A merge of timer/cleanup (present in the arm-soc tree) and soc
>
> 7. Branch: pfc2
>    Based on: A merge of sh-soc2 and soc
>
> 8. Branch: sh-soc3
>    Based on: pfc2
>
> 9. Branch: soc2
>    Based on: A merge of timer/cleanup (present in the arm-soc tree) and pfc2
>
> 10. Branch: pfc3
>     Based on: A merge of sh-soc3 and soc2

Looking at it from the end here, 10 contains only arch/sh and global
changes, and depends on 8 and 9. 8 also contains only sh changes. So it
looks like 8 and 10 could be pruned from this pull request and go through
either SH or pinctrl.

What pieces from branch 7 are stronly needed? A couple of the added pinctrl
modules are used by mach-shmobile boards, it seems. And the structure rename
might also be needed.

Not having to pull in the bulk of 7, 8 and 10 would make a pretty big
difference.

For branch 2 (clocksource include order), I'd like to see an ack from John or
Thomas. Does it really make sense to base that on an ifdef instead of always
initialize early?

Branch 4 seems to be mostly sh-specific updates. With some of the later
dependencies avoided, maybe this branch can be dropped too, not sure?

About half of branch 5 looks like it's generic SoC-updates unrelated
to the pinctrl rework, and branch 6 looks like mostly regular
patches/updates, is that stronly dependent on all the pinctrl
rework? Doesn't look like it should be?

-Olof