linux-next: manual merge of the tegra tree with the arm-soc tree

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Jan 16 12:35:10 EST 2013

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
> On 01/16/2013 09:27 AM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Given that the maintainer can quite safely do the patch (sorry
>>> maintainers), I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done at the
>>> point where they stop accepting patches for the merge-window. Once the
>>> patches are stopped, sort the list in one last patch.
>
> That only works well if the one maintainer is the only person taking
> patches for the drivers/clocksource tree. It might be true that the "one
> maintainer" here ends up being arm-soc in this kernel cycle though?

I'll send a patch to Linus at the end of the merge window, no need to
do it through a merge -- that way it's trivial for him to fixup a
merge conflict (and he can refuse to take it if he feels it's silly).

>>> It makes sense to get it done in this window if possible as the Kconfig
>>> will only get bigger as time goes on, making sorting it more time
>>> consuming.
>>
>> Actually, Russell wen through and reordered these not long ago, if I
>> remember correctly. The current ordering is the same as in the
>> structure definition, and should be kept that way.
>
> I think this is talking about Makefile entries rather than struct
> definitions?

Ah, yes, they should be sorted. But definitely not right now since
it'll just make things worse.

-Olof